Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: Topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:18:25 -0700
Jim,

I'm very interested in your experience with vertical vs horiz dipoles for 40
meters.  I have a  similar situation in the works.
I am using a vertical dipole for 40 meters with the top attached to a 3 foot
side arm at the 95 foot level on my tower.
It slopes away from the tower about the tower about 15 degrees.   It works
pretty well for dx but I think the noise level
would be improved with a horizontal dipole.  I am planning on putting a
rotatable dipole for 40 at about 3 feet above the
top of the vertical dipole and see how it does.  I'm hoping more gain and
quieter receive.

Bob
K6UJ

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 9/20/2012 2:55 PM, wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:
>> Does anyone have any real world experience with these dipoles?
>
> Not on Topband, but I rigged a vertical dipole for 40M in one of my tall
> redwoods with the top insulator up about 100 ft.  It worked, but not very
> well, not nearly as well as the horizontal dipoles at the same height.
>
> If I had ONLY a single skyhook for an antenna that needed to work ABOVE 160,
> I would use it to hang either a traditional vertical over radials, or an
> inverted Vee. On 160, it would definitely be a vertical over radials.
>
> BTW -- a half wave dipole for 160M is about 260 ft.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK