Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: armstrmj@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:12:03 -0400 (EDT)
Here is some fresh data on my Vertical Dipole versus my Double Zepp.   This
was run last night and is typical of the reams of comparison data that
I've accumulated on 40M.

My methodology:  I find a clear frequency, and after a couple of QRLs  make
a series of three CQ messages, spaced 5 seconds apart.  Once the first
antenna is checked, I change frequency by a few kHz and repeat the same series
of CQs with the second antenna.  I alternate which antenna I use first in
case that might somehow skew the data.

I create a printout of the RBN responses and determine which responses are
common to both antennas and compare those reports.  I also note which
stations were received by just one antenna or the other.  The data is
remarkably consistent.

Antennas:  180' Double Zepp, 30-35 feet above ground.  This is a  charmed
antenna.  I've been at this QTH for almost 20 years, and have tried
countless antenna designs, and this is the best I've ever used, great even on
160M
considering its length and height.  I have a 40M inverted Vee with  apex at
40' which rarely beats this antenna.  This DZ is strung  above the route for
neighborhood underground utilities, and has a road and  green belt in the
foreground to the east.  This may provide something of a  counterpoise.  I've
won the Low Power NA Sprint and had numerous top five  and top ten
performances thanks to this antenna.

The Vertical dipole is 25' long with 42" square hats on top and  bottom.
It is tied to a tree limb, and is pretty much buried in a stand of  trees.
It is fed with 300 ohm ladder line.

Here is the comparison data compiled between 0303Z and 0305Z.   Vertical
dipole was the first antenna tested.  Here are the results by  receiving sites:

Station        Best  Antenna    dB Difference
DR1A          DZ                   10
F5MUX        VDp                 7
V51YJ         Equal               0
EA4TX         VDp                  2
WA7LNW     DZ                   5
N4ZR            DZ                   1
W4KKN        DZ                   6
KM3T            DZ                   3
K1TTT           VDp                  1
WZ7I            Equal                0
NC7J            DZ                    2
K3MM            VDp                4
NQ6N            VDp                 3
W3LPL          DZ                   1
NY3A              VDp                9
KQ8M              VDp                2
N0TA              DZ                  7
N7TR              Equal              0
N6NC              VDp                4
N6WIN            VDp                1
K8ND               VDp               2

Reverse Beacon Reports for only one antenna:
DZ (1)  W8WTS
VDp (3) DL1EMY, WB2LSI, GW8IZR

dB advantage over all common stations between antennas (the sum) is equal
at 35 dB for each antenna!

DX advantage:   VDP had the advantage on 2 DX stations, DZ one  and one was
equal.  Two of the three beacon stations reporting  exclusively on the VDp
were DX.  The DZ was heard exclusively on only  one reverse beacon, and it
was stateside.

These are completely unexpected results.  I was hoping to find  something
that would be within a few S units of the DZ to use as a backup, but  this
antenna is more than its equal.  Daytime results a quite similar,
surprisingly.  I haven't paid as close attention to them as 40M is a money
band
primarily at night, but during daylight periods of high absorption,  the DZ
seems
to do 2-3 dB better.

I was quite flummoxed after a rare but heavy rainstorm.  The DZ was
showing an average 5-6 dB advantage shortly after the storm.  I surmised  that
somehow the wet ground was providing a better counterpoise for the  DZ.  Recall
I mentioned that the VDp was nested in a stand of trees, that  seemed to
actually be the problem, as results normalized after two dry days.

If there is one thing I can say with some authority, I know which antennas
have worked well for me.  I am limited to about 35' max height and 100' max
 length in my lot (one leg of the DZ goes into the lot of a very awesome
and  supportive neighbor!).  My antenna effort is the sub optimization  of
some rather limited choices, when I find something this good, especially when
it takes so little real estate, it is truly exciting.  My mind now wanders
to a multi-element array for 40M.   I also wonder how I might apply  this
concept to a small 160M vertical.

YMMV, but I've got abundant evidence that it works for me.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 9/22/2012 12:05:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time,