Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:17:02 -0700 (PDT)
>Anything tall or new received good reports, if I told the other person it was
>tall or new. This is a common result, similar to the well-known G5RV effects.
>Pick an unpopular antenna like a >G5RV and say you are using it in a test, and
>even if you do not actually switch antennas the G5RV will get a weaker report
>over long averages of tests. You can see a similar effect with guest
>>operators and a no-change switch position. They always like the better
>antenna, even when it is the same antenna.  :-)

>To avoid the G5RV effect when making A-B tests, I never said which antenna was
>actually A or B. I also would randomly change A or B around in different
>tests. Just watching reports >without changing antennas at all is interesting.
>
>73 Tom

Why we are talking about A B test knowing that the ionospheric signal is fading
up and down at least 10dB!?
This can be verified by anybody having a stable carrier as a receiving signal
and monitor it for few minutes...

For a proper A B test one should switch A B very fast and record synchronously
the amplitude! This is the only A B test that can be made (with low cost
setups).
This way, could be helpful a read of Dike receiver (radio astronomy).

The above discussion is valid if we are talking about quantitative measurement,
not qualitative.

Every time we ask the DX station operator to read his/her S-meter in an A B
test, we will have at best a qualitative result, doesn't matter how fast we'll
do it.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi