Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:54:41 -0400
Qualitative or Quantitative...Let me get this straight. If I call CQ and the band is open to Europe on 160 and nobody replies after a couple of hours with my TX antenna #1 with no replies and after switching to antenna #2 I work a dozen stations in rapid succession, that should tell me something. A good way to test a TX antenna is to listen to one of the many SDR receivers available on line and you can her the A/B results for yourself without the G5RV effect. But again is all relative. For example after calling TT8TT on 80 CW night after night without a reply (a total of 14 nights without a contact) using full power and a 1/4 vertical with radials, I decide to listen to the "up" frequencies to see if there was an EU wall were I could find a hole to call on. Amazing there I was, as strong as the Eu's calling TT8TT with a Eu SDR online RX located in Europe. But why could the TT8TT op not here me after calling him from 2300 till 0245 (his SR)?

 Here are some options to consider:

(1) His RX antenna was so directional that the Caribbean and SA were not favored on RX as we were in the null. (2) He was just ignoring me for calling him on the same frequency of the station he just worked.
(3) he was playing Russian Roulette after each contact.
(4) Like the ST0R TB operation, 160 was really an after thought "drive by" consideration, where quantity of contacts was more important than the fine wine quality of working the deserving on TB. (IMHO one West coast contact on TB from Africa is worth 100 East coast big guns QSO's) (5) He refused to give directional calls QRZ NA for fear of making his Euro buddies upset even if it was only for.a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Why we are talking about A B test knowing that the ionospheric signal is fading
up and down at least 10dB!?
This can be verified by anybody having a stable carrier as a receiving signal
and monitor it for few minutes...

For a proper A B test one should switch A B very fast and record synchronously
the amplitude! This is the only A B test that can be made (with low cost
setups).
This way, could be helpful a read of Dike receiver (radio astronomy).

The above discussion is valid if we are talking about quantitative measurement,
not qualitative.

Every time we ask the DX station operator to read his/her S-meter in an A B
test, we will have at best a qualitative result, doesn't matter how fast we'll
do it.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi