Re: Topband: DX window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX window
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:41:52 -0500
So there is confused information about DX windows and digital windows
and callig windows and useless windows. Once upon a time there was
something called "gentlemen's agreements" and the "DX window" was part
of that. Most of us don't really let the ARRL dictate to us what we will
or won't do. So we can ignore their lack of a DX window if we choose. I
cannot control what other hams do on the air and I have no desire to do
so (better things to to do).

So what is this DX window? 1825 to 1830 kc? If that's where the DX calls
and transmits then where do W/VE stations transmit in reply? 1820 to
1825? That's where I seem to hear W/VE stations calling CQ DX. I have at
best a regional station and I am just looking for some ragchew QSOs when
I am on the air. I have been dressed down for being stupid and calling
CQ 1810 to 1820 because *everybody knows* there is no DX there.
Duh...that's the whole point. Is that somebody else's version of some
other window or just an arid desert? I already know where to not
transmit to avoid W1AW. Too close to the band edge for my drifty Ranger
anyway.

So fill me in on where I should avoid looking for casual QSOs and where
I should look. I'm happy to share the band and observe DX windows.

73,

Bill  KU8H