Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center con

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center conductor
From: "John Kaufmann" <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:07:07 -0500
At KC1XX we also have a 1500-foot feedline run to one of our lowband
receiving antennas. We use RG-6 with copper clad steel center conductor, but
we install a preamp right at the antenna to compensate for feedline loss and
some passive splitting losses at the station.  A potential downside of a
preamp is degradation in dynamic range in a strong signal environment, so
you have to choose the preamp carefully.  We have had very good results with
some very high dynamic range preamps from Clifton Laboratories
(http://cliftonlaboratories.com/current_products.htm).  Incidentally I have
also measured RG-6 feedline loss numbers that are virtually identical to
what Frank has reported.

73, John W1FV