Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation

To: "'Greg Chartrand'" <w7my@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:51:45 -0400
You're a man after my own heart, Greg!  I never worried so much about the
"Dbs".  As a DXer, I generally listened a lot, and I found that on 160, if I
could hear them - more often than not, I could work 'em - wherever in the
world they might be.

Aside from 160, I have also built fearsome 3-el 40m vertical yagis for
special paths, like Bouvet and Peter 1, that enabled me to work them on
first call in huge east coast pileups!

So, I figure if I'm working what what I can hear, and break through monster
pileups for the tough ones, then I probably don't need to sweat or
"nit-pick" the real or imagined tree losses!

I also built a big 5-element 80m steerable vertical array (supported by
trees)  that was a fearsome "world-beater".  Trees have been very good to
me!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV