Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 19:40:33 -0500
On two meters, yes indeed. But we are talking about 160. To quote Tom above:

"Also, for 160, antennas are near earth. Earth spoils everything. A 160
antenna at 260 feet is like a two meter antenna at 3.25 feet above ground.
...  This is 160. The distance ratio for the same behavior on two meters is
80:1. If we look at:  http://www.w8ji.com/stacking_broadside_collinear.htm "

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:

> http://www.w8ji.com/VHF%20mobile%20vertical.htm
>> He is comparing mobile antennas but it looks like the 5/8 wave can be 2
>> db better than the 1/4 wave.
>> Looking at the radiation angle graphs it shows the 5/8 has more gain at
>> lower radiation angles in particular.
>> If you were doing your comparison on long haul contacts it makes sense
>> that the 5/8 would do better.

Topband Reflector