Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 18:45:36 -0700
Mike, you are answering the wrong question.  Guy didn't understand the question
at all.  I KNOW that sea water is a better ground than dirt...... The
comparison I was ALWAYS talking about had NOTHING AT ALL to do with LOCATION!
NOTHING!  The comparison was a quarter wave vertical compared to a 5/8ths wave
vertical IN THE EXACT SAME LOCATION...... Sorry Mike, I am taking it out on you
and it wasn't your fault.  People are responding who didn't actually read what
I wrote, then they comment..... and they YOU commented on their comment which
had the wrong premise to begin with..... I say again, the comparison had
nothing to do with the actual location, but rather two different vertical types
in the exact same place..... Well, ok, a few yards apart, but with the same
number of radials and the same seawater location (Iroquois Point Military
Housing on Oahu).  THe words RURAL or DIRT were used nowhere in my original
email.

What intrigued me was that I had such a great experience with a 5/8 wave
vertical over a 1/4 wave vertical AT THE SAME LOCATION..... and on 20 meters.
Tom commented that 5/8 waves were basically garbage on 160 and I would like to
know why..... IF he knew or had a clue as to the why.  Then Guy started talking
about seawater vs rural dirt and off the entire thread goes in the wrong
direction...... a direction that indicated he was reading stuff into my post
that just wasn't there.  It is exasperating in the extreme to have that happen,
then others like yourself are misdirected by their misdirection because you
read theirs instead of mine..... Not knowing that they actually didn't read
what I wrote.  NOT YOUR FAULT, but exasperating because I feel compelled to
answer you because you were kind enough to provide some details, but details to
an issue that I wouldn't have mentioned because I KNOW that salt water is
better than dirt..... I've lived in Hawaii, within yards of the oce
 an and then Arizona, which probably has the world's least conductive dirt on
the entire planet.

My desire IS STILL to have someone who might know give me a clue as to why the
5/8 doesn't work well on 160 when it works so fabulously well on 20 meters (for
one band).  I use one out here in AZ on 20, too.  It has alot of straight
copper radials underneath it (60 half-wave long radials to be precise) and it
works as well here, anecdotally speaking, as it did in Hawaii..... Well, not
"quite" as good, but darned close if you take into account the difference in
solar activity, too.  When I was on Hawaii, the spots were a whole lot better,
even tho they were decreasing, than they are today at the current "peak."  If
"peak" is the right word for this one..... he he he.  But I digress.... I find
it interesting that an antenna that appears to work so well on 20 as a ground
mounted vertical, can be so bad on 160..... I would like to know why.....

Thanks for responding Mike.  I am sure you will get the gist of what I was
talking about, now.  No insults intended towards anyone, but this does provide
a good example of what happens when folks don't read the entire email someone
sends and then comment on it....... Then others, who have no idea that the
person responding didn't read the email all the way thru or thoroughly, respond
to the responder...... and away she goes..... LOL.  I was starting to get a
little wound around the axle, but now it is just funny.  Between you and me (ha
ha ha) I am not going to respond to anything else concerning my email unless
someone wants to discuss the question I actually, really and truly had.....
LOL.

Speaking of which, other than the possibility that a 5/8ths wave vertical lays
down a very low angle radiation and it is "too low" for 160 (although, I have
to admit that for DX work, that is a hard pill to swallow..... but I am NOT an
expert on 160, which is why I read the forum comments here in the first place
:) :)  Like I said, when I replaced the 1/4 wave with the 5/8 wave ground
mounted vertical (20 meters only), the unsolicited comments concerning my
signal were universally positive.  I was one of the early WINLINK stations and
my station being in Hawaii at the time was used by MANY, MANY sailboat guys out
in the Pacific and, particularly, the Western Pacific.  Many of the guys who
used my system were former or retired military having a ball sailing the ocean
blue...... Anyway, I needed a good, solid performer that, by necessity, had to
be omnidirectional in nature.  So I tried the 5/8ths and batta-bing, batta-boom
I start getting UNSOLICITED reports in my emails that
 say something to the effect, "what did you do? You are definitely stronger....
in fact, you are downright LOUD now."  That kind of report.  Again, they didn't
have a clue I had recently changed my winlink dedicated system antenna, but all
of a sudden I am louder than they are used to hearing me.  The only difference
was a 5/8 wave radiator as opposed to a 1/4 wave radiator over the same
ground....... I then ran some test with some of my friends floating around out
towards the Philippines and they confirmed, via an a/b test that the 5/8 wave
was louder.  I switched which one was "A" and which one was "B" randomly
throughout the tests and not once did any of them pick the 1/4 as the better
antenna. SOOOOOOOOOO, looks like I found a winner for my 20 meter winlink node
and that antenna is definitely a go-to when I need a solid, omni on 20 meters.
I am going to turn my station into a winlink node, once again, here shortly
because my setup, which includes a 5/8 on 20 meters over
 60 copper radials on TOP of AZ DIRT, seems to work almost as well as it did on
Hawaii back in the day (all things considered, like the fact that this solar
cycle blows chunks).

Mike, I am sorry this turned into a book, but maybe now you know the whys and
wherefores ..... as well as why it still interests me.  I would have never even
thought that a 5/8ths wave wouldn't work well on 160 until Tom said something
to that effect..... which, due to my experience with that particular vertical
antenna, made me say, " HUH?"  LOL LOL. If you have any input on the possible
WHY of that statement from Tom, I am all ears..... :)

Mike AB7ZU

P.S. I hope nobody was insulted by my little diatribe.  It wasn't intended to
insult, but just to remind folks that WE really need to read and try to fully
digest what someone says (ALL OF IT) before we respond and possibly really
confuse the entire thread.  I include MYSELF in that statement for sure and
certain, since I have definitely done the very same thing in the past.  Not
here, I don't think, but certainly in other ways and on other days..... :) :)

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Topband Reflector