Re: Topband: CAT5 for Flag Antenna Feedline ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CAT5 for Flag Antenna Feedline ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:12:41 -0700
On 9/8/2013 10:30 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
I got the impression from the post
that CAT5 is immune to common mode noise.

I've not heard that, nor can I think of a theoretical basis for saying so. CAT5 is very good twisted pair, with a high twist ratio, Zo = 100 ohms, and its loss is low enough to make it work fine on 160M. The primary advantage of twisted pair is that it rejects DIFFERENTIAL mode noise. Rejection is greatest when both ends of the line are balanced.

One possible source of your confusion may be reading, but not fully understanding, my work, and Neil Muncy's work, on SCIN, whereby certain deficiencies in the construction of a cable shield convert common mode current to a differential voltage on the signal pair. I have on several occasions observed that high quality unshielded twisted pair, like CAT5/6/7, would have much better noise rejection than that sort of cable. Read about it in several tech papers and tutorials on my website. No need to burden the list with it.

73, Jim K9YC

Topband Reflector