Re: Topband: CAT5 for Flag Antenna Feedline ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CAT5 for Flag Antenna Feedline ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:28:35 -0700
On 9/9/2013 9:17 AM, ZR wrote:
Would shielded CAT5 be useable as a Beverage feed? It would be easy enough to match with a binocular core at both ends and I just happen to have about 300' doing nothing.

If terminated balanced on both ends, as you're describing, there's probably no advantage to having a shield. Indeed, the presence of the shield, and the other three pairs, might make things worse.

On the other hand, there are good uses for shielded CAT5 with connectors and equipment that has proper termination for the shield. One of the chronic issues with wired Ethernet is radiation from the cable, and shielded CAT5 can greatly reduce it. N6TV reported excellent suppression with shielded CAT5. That radiation is a combination of broadband hash and birdies at various discrete frequencies. The birdies are from clocks in each router or switch, so they differ slightly from one box to another. I use the birdies as indicators of how well I'm suppressing the overall level of trash. Two birdies I use are around 14030 and 21052 kHz. If you have neighbors, you'll often hear multiple birdies, so I kill power to my Ethernet switch to see which one is mine. Some of the radiation is common mode, so it can be killed with chokes on the Ethernet cable and power cable. But some is often coming directly from the box, due to poor circuit layout and poor shielding, and not much can be done without making it a science project.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector