Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax. ( silicone grease)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax. ( silicone grease)
From: "Max Cotton" <airradio@dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:10:47 -0000
Very soon afterwards (a few weeks instead of perhaps a year), the
operator called me over to show me the problem with that switch. I know
what I saw, and I am convinced that it is abrasive. That grease accelerated
the failure of that switch by a tremendous amount.

This is very interesting and something I also discovered and never reasoned why, I have used Potable silicone grease inside PL-259 coax connectors and never had a problem, however, when I have used the same grease inside the rotary preset switch for my Prosistel rotator controller box it destroyed the switch in a couple of months, now I know why. Thanks for the interesting thread.
73 Max
M0GHQ