Re: Topband: Insulator problems

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Insulator problems
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:03:16 -0800 (PST)
The HN is a tough connector. At my former employer we used to run close to 2.5
KW thru them into fairly reactive loads. This was in the 130-180 Mhz freq
range. I don't remember ever seeing one fail.

73, Stew K3ND

Because of a current/voltage node I was toasting SO-239's (FORGET Type
"N"'s).... I went to Amphenol Type "HN" connectors in the 160 tuning box
at the base of the tower. It NEVER arcs now, ever.....

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/hn.asp?N=0&sid=52AE42803C4E617F&;

They are not cheap, but they work great...

73,

John, W4NU

Stew and John,

I have been using HN connevtors since the 70s. Someone gave me about 150 ft of
new  RG-17 and the local surplus store had a bunch of
all types of HN connectors. I bought a few.

If you use them, try to find the ones with the captive center pin.
In the ARRLs article in the 60s on a pair of 3-400zs in GG, they used an HN
connector for the 3kV B+ connector.

73, Price W0RI