Re: Topband: Insulator problems

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Insulator problems
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:35:40 -0400
Thanks Tim. I might try one of these if I can get them to send them in single unit quantities. The one I currently use is a bowl type but about 3 inches on the flange. I guess for a 160 ATU I should be able to punch a new hole through the metal box and get it to work. The one presently there was all that was left of a motorized 2-30 Mhz automatic ATU for which I just retained the Vacuum Cap and put in my own 6 inch flat wound AM coil. It was made in Ft. Lauderdale, FL over 40 years ago but the beehive feed through was made from some glazed bead like material which must soak up water like a sponge although so far has not failed in my tower's wire cage feed tuning box at the base. I had even considered replacing it with a small necked rum bottle glued into the original hole. But the idea of a large porcelain replacement would look so much better.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ