Re: Topband: 160 condx last night

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 condx last night
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 19:29:57 +0000
I went exploring with a direction finding antenna and my rig on batteries along
the street, and the 120Hz impulse noise near the power lines on the street is
far far worse than it is up the driveway at my house. But unable to pin down to
any one pole.

The 120Hz noise I have is worst on 40M and 30M... I suppose it's possible it's
an arcing source on a 50 foot wire, that would be about a half wavelength on
those bands, and that's why its worst in that range. But that's all
hypothetical until it's tracked down and fixed!

Tim N3QE