Re: Topband: 160 condx last night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 condx last night
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 16:08:46 -0400
I had a similar experience here with trying to DF a 120 hz noise source on my TB Beverage antennas selector falsely believe the antennas would give some indications where the noise was in relation to the shack. The location was right at the Palomar Pre-amp which allows my Beverages to perform better on higher frequencies. However it was not generated by the pre-amp at all but rather by a switching supply use to power it. (My other model of the same unit has it own internal DC supply and it was clean.) By changing to a small linear DC supply solved the problem. Later by using a small hand help AM radio I was able to zero right down to the unit itself which was ironically clean except under load.

Some the tests we worry about about first on noise soures should be the ones we carry out first like powering the RX from a battery and pulling the power to *all* items internal in your house. IMHO ersatz switching DC power supplies are probably the worst low frequency offenders and ironically the easiest to cure. Yes I know....I used to carry a sledge hammer around in the trunk of the car while listening to 1690 AM until one day in the Minnesota winter night a concerned neighbor called the police to report some "lunatic" was beating on power poles on his street.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ