Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:21:15 -0500
How is this different than RTTY using the AFSK method?
In my FT-1000D, if you try to use FSK mode for RTTY it
turns out that the rig is still running AFSK, using
an internal audio source.

I've never looked at the FT1000, but I doubt that is a clean system. It would still be like a SSB transmitter with audio signals if that is how they do it. It would be much better to actually shift a carrier, and not do the baseband audio signal run though a balanced modulator and then through a sideband filter.