Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:36:41 -0600
As utterly simple as it is to shift a VFO, it's almost hard to believe that
any major manufacturer would do it with audio.

When I was heavily into HF RTTY software development years ago, it was a
trivial thing to FSK my Collins 32S-3's VFO. I just connected one pin of
the RS-232 port through a resistor to a switching diode and trimmer
capacitor connected to the VFO tube socket. It turned out to be much
superior to using audio. It was the only way I could keep the amplitude of
the mark and space freqs exactly the same, which turned out to be very
important when conditions were less than ideal.

If rig manufacturers are not informed of this need, we can expect little to
change.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com