Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:55:33 -0800
On 12/30/2013 7:55 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
IMD **requires** two or more signals at once, and does not appear anything like sideband leakage.

Actually, IMD can be produced by ANY keying waveform -- for example, the envelope of a CW or RTTY signal. To understand this, think of the keying envelope of a signal as the amplitude modulation of a carrier by a square wave, which, from a spectral point of view, consists of many harmonics, the relative strength of which vary with the rise time. Indeed, clicks are the IM products of that envelope.

During contests, I often hear clicks from RTTY rigs that have high levels of IMD somewhere in the system. Elecraft recently released new firmware that significantly reduces the TX bandwidth of FSK RTTY by carefully shaping the keying waveform in the same manner that they do for the CW waveform.

There's also the mechanism of incidental AM as the result of non-flat response of the filter through which the signal is being transmitted and received. This is clearly visible as flicker of a wattmeter on the output. I noticed a significant reduction in this when I replaced the 2.7 kHz 5-pole filter in my K3 with a 2.8 kHz 8-pole filter.