Re: Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge

To: 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:15:57 -0800
On 2/14/2014 7:00 PM, Charlie Cunningham wrote:
All generally true, I expect, but I also believe that dielectric constant
and dielectric losses also figure in and the lowest loss lines would be
filled with air, dry nitrogen or evacuated. I expect those would likely be
the lowest loss AND highest velocity factor cases.

If you run the equations, you find that below about 1 GHz, the losses are all copper losses. Dielectric loss is a few percent of the total loss in the 500 MHz range. The benefit of a foam dielectric at HF and VHF is that it allows the center conductor to be larger for a given shield diameter. But the improvement in loss of a foam dielectric coax below 1 GHz is entirely due to the center conductor being larger.

BTW -- the relevant equation is on each Times data sheet.

73, Jim K9YC