Re: Topband: Rig Question

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:58:15 -0400
Not a flame. Good TX audio could involve just about every TX adjustment in
a K3 depending on whose voice and what microphone.

The short answer is to set up a K3 specifically to get some "punch" from
*your own voice* as picked up by a *particular microphone*. This involves
using the KDVR3, a spectrum analyzer program on the K3 monitor audio
output, and playing back recorded audio following setting adjustments.

For ME using the MH2 mic that came with the rig, the main settings are mic
at 13, compression of 20 or 21 and TX equalization of -16, -16, -16, -8,
+8, +16, +16, -16. This is guaranteed to be just plain *awful* settings for
most people. Note that the K3 compression is NOT RF clipping. It is an
Elecraft proprietary digital compression routine. It does not flat-top like
clipping, doesn't broaden the 100 watt signal. You have to listen to it and
watch it on a spectrum analyzer to see what is happening. It's not an
analog process and may take a little getting used to.

When I came on the air barefoot with those adjustments properly done *for
my voice* with the spectrum analyzer, the boys accused me of adding an
amplifier. Power in both the prior and subsequent settings was 100 watts
PEP.

Then there's all the other stuff Merv mentions in his post.

73, Guy