Re: Topband: Rig Question

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:08:28 +0000
I was an early adopter of the K3 and installed all the hardware audio
updates as they were released.  I'm picky about audio and the K3 ssb rx
audio was quite good.  At http://n1eu.com/K3/K3_notes.htm you can see
before/after audio spectral plots showing the differences the hardware
updates and rx equalization made.  Please ignore much of the other outdated
info on that Web page.

As others have indicated, K3 tx audio needs more careful setup (as compared
to other radios) in terms of sufficient audio drive and compression in
order to maintain consistent output power level.

The K3 with subrx does quite a good job of pulling out the weak ones from
the noise on topband, as does the Ten-Tec Orion/RX366.  I'd rate these two
as top of the heap.  The new DDC/DUC SDRs are promising (Flex 6700,
ANAN-100D) but are not quite ready for prime time in terms of diversity
reception and full feature set, GUI, etc.

73, Barry N1EU