Re: Topband: Rig Question

To: "W7RH" <midnight18@cox.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:54:14 -0400
What I dont understand is even the need for some of these fancy rigs.

DXers and contesters on any band 160-10M havent really progressed much in close to 30 years based upon the rig alone. PC control has been around a long time and a simple external box can shape the TX/RX audio.

Key clix, phase noise, ALC spikes, reliability problems, constant updates/fixes, and more are still with us...no progress there. Overdriven SSB rigs and amps by those with a simian IQ are more prevalent than ever IMO.

Is a built in panadaptor really needed? I have a SM-230 and SM-240 that are rarely of any use on HF and especially 160. I use the SM-230 regularly on 6M CW DX due to the random nature of DX band openings and fast moving E clouds.

Advancements have been in receive antennas and control systems. Ive never found a second receiver built in to be any help. OTOH I do have a seperate rig, amp, split and fader controllable headphones, and antenna selection switching matrix that allows me to be on 2 bands at once chasing DXpeditions even on different modes.
This is with mid to late 80's gear.

Advancements in automatic amp and antenna/rotator control plus logging and spotting networks are, again IMO, a primary reason for higher contest scores and the xcvr used has little to do with it.

With the huge acceptance of the TS-590 by all levels of ops it is a big statement as to why spend $$$ for very little improvement.....those who always want the biggest and best toys arent included. Buy 2 and a second amp (lots of good used ones in the $1000-1500 range) and spend less money than just a xcvr in some cases.

Many hams Ive talked to are wasting 1-3dB in feedline loss by the time they get to 10M. VSWR loss is additive to the flat loss making some antennas even more lossy over a full band. CATV hardline; and cheap 50 Ohm versions with connectors are free to even less than scrap copper these days as the 2 way and paging businesses have tanked.

In the automotive world the Corvette and Mustangs (and toss the new SRT/Dodge Viper into the mix) are giving even the highest priced Euro cars fits on the tracks and dragstrips at a fraction of the cost....there is American technology at its best where it is actually measurable one on one unlike with ham rigs which are more a personal and emotional choice, and perceived rather than real useful performance.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "W7RH" <midnight18@cox.net>