Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, "'Charlie Cunningham'" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:17:22 -0500
You/re right of course, it's 1 ft/nanosecond. Don't know what I was
thinking.  I was also focusing on CW DQRM,  since that is 99% of what I
operate, and since carriers and CW jamming havw been endemic on the Navassa dxpedition's top band and 80m operations. I agree that for SSB interference,
the concept would be harder to implement since there would be no sharply
defined turn-on time for the interference at the receiving stations.

There is no sharply defined turn on time for CW, either. These people are not transmitting multi-kilowatt LORAN pulses that are 100 kHz bandwidth through highly efficient antenna systems.

What is being proposed is not that much different than LORAN, except now the signal level is in the noise and does not have a well-defined transition point in any mode.

The S/N at each site would determine when any given site detects a change.

I'm afraid anything affected by strength is a waste of time. We'd be doing well to get within 200 miles.

The sites might be able to look at signal phase, but it seems to me directional detection at each site would be far easier, more accurate, and more reliable. From here looking at phase differences between antennas using an NCC-1, I can get within about 2-3 degrees compass heading. The calibration process is tedious.

I'm sure I could do that or better with a specialized small antenna system that would remain calibrated for a very long time.

73 Tom