Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:04:17 -0600
You may have seen an old Wullenweber antenna array at one of those older
FCC sites. IIRC, one is (or was) on the east coast. AFAIK, the Wullenweber
is not used anymore by the FCC and is scheduled to be (or already has been)
replaced with a different --and far less complex-- antenna.

One thing the FCC uses their newest HFDF system for is to pinpoint the
source of some idiots who make a sick hobby out of QRMing, for example,
14.313. There are remote locations all over North America. The FCC claims
--and I believe them-- that they can use that system to quickly triangulate
an HF transmitter's location with a very high degree of accuracy.

>From looking at the PDF I referenced earlier, I'm not certain that all the
remote locations are in operation yet. The last one appears to have a
completion date of sometime later this year.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com