Re: Topband: K1N 5,399 q's on 160 M

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N 5,399 q's on 160 M
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 17:41:04 -0500
Interesting how things can jog a memory... My dad wanted me to be the
youngest ham back in 1957 and he pushed me to learn all the required
circuits which I might have been able to do all considering how
quickly young kids absorb information. The spoiler for me was the
code more than the formulae. I remember having difficulty as I'd
learned to think dit & dah instead of hear the character. Thus ended
my quest to get the license till 1979 & I quickly tired of the BS on
CB, met up with a ham at my college, passed the Novice at the hands
of my Elmer N1AMC (SK) at FARA, the local club in Fairfield, CT.
Another year later & after three trips to the FCC in NYC & I had the
extra. Funny, the CW was so much easier later in life but the
formulas were much harder to remember. Interesting how things turn.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> As I recall, I drove to Tucson (120 miles one way) and took the 20
WPM  Extra Class test on a Saturday in 1991. A month later (spent
studying for the written test) I went back to the same place to take
the written test. Fortunately, I passed both. The 20 WPM test was, of
course, more difficult than the 13 WPM General Class test that I took
at the FCC office in Norfolk, VA; in 1955.....but the written test
for the Extra Class was, for me, easier that the written testfor the
General Class test taken in 1955.

>      On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:24 PM, HAROLD SMITH JR
<w0rihps@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  Extra Class
>
> I am sure that my wife could get her General and Extra class license by
> studying for one weekend or less, if she wanted to.
>
> When I got my Extra in 1968. There were no privileges. The test was send and
> receive code at 20WPM and the written test had many diagrams to draw.
> Not quite the same today.
>
> 73 de Price  W0RI
>

> On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:56 PM, Larry <lknain@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>

> On the 13th they were on 3725 and were switching between listening up 10-15
> and 3815+/- around 1100Z but you had to listen carefully to know which of
> those they were doing. They would take some 10-15 up and then take some
> around 3815 and then repeat the sequence.
>
> 73, Larry  W6NWS

---