Re: Topband: DSP and Latency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DSP and Latency
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:38:32 -0400
Hi Jim,

I have begun playing with soundcard SDR and DSP software. "Latency" varies all over the place (from config to config) and can be somewhat managed. The real sticking place for me is the delay between pressing the key (CW of course) and the beginning of the dit or dah. Again when releasing the key and the end of the dit or dah. When the radio is right in front of me, I can use an external 'sidetone' and coordinate my keying hand with that. I am not sure how that is handled with a remote station setup. Perhaps the remote user is using a local sidetone or even sending with a keyboard. If it's computer generated CW from the keyboard any 'latency' just won't matter. It's milliseconds or less - not minutes or hours.

Maybe this comment will help some others get a better handle on this 'latency'.

73,

Bill  KU8H