Re: Topband: DSP and Latency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DSP and Latency
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:40:49 -0700
On Wed,3/18/2015 11:06 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
There is a very straightforward fix for this latency.
Simply use a POTS telephone line with a phone patch.
Receive audio comes in, and CW tones go out.  At
the remote site, a tone decoder generates key closures.
I measured 50 ms latency on a 100 mile phone connection.
And you never get audio glitches.

Good system, BUT -- don't count on that 50 msec being a constant. Telco's routing may change at any time. And I suspect it may be digital in their system. Why do I say this? Roughly 25 years ago, I had a part time gig doing remotes for WGN Radio for their farm show, which included a live jazz combo. The location rotated around their rather large listening area (50kW on 720 kHz). We did the gig on two dialup POTS lines using Dutch system that did bandsplitting to put something like 100 - 2700 Hz on one line and 2700-5400 on the other. It was not unusual for these lines to have slightly different latencies, and the system had the ability to delay one channel to put them in sync.

73, Jim K9YC