Topband: Top Band Antenna

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top Band Antenna
From: rodger bryce <gm3job@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 14:54:40 +0000
Gentlemen, I have the following which I would like to turn into a topband
antenna if possible. My mast is approximately 40 feet high and there is rotor
cage with a 10 foot stub mast, on the stubmast I have an 8 el.log periodic and
above that a rotary dipole for 30/40m.

I attached a drop wire at approx. 38 feet high, I grounded this wire and tried
to grid dip the wire plus mast, all as per ON4UN's book "USING THE BEAM TOWER
AS A LOW BAND VERTICAL" the results were zilch, nadda nothing at all, no dip
anywhere on any band. I used the MFJ 259B with the GDO accessory.

1. Am I doing this all wrong......highly possible.!!
2. Is the mast not high enough to be used for top band.?

I am totally out of my depth here.........so any guidance would be much
appreciated.

Many thanks, Rodger/GM3JOB