Re: Topband: VK0EK Operation From Spit

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VK0EK Operation From Spit
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:11:51 -0700
On Tue,3/29/2016 11:03 AM, Milt wrote:
Jim,

I have never worked Heard on any band, and my only interest is to possibly make the contact on Top Band.

Our window of marginal opportunity from here in southern New Mexico (183 degrees bearing to Heard) is like 10 minutes of "common sun not above the horizon" and NO COMMON DARKNESS.

If I understand the report from the pilot station, they are now moving the Top Band station to the even more difficult opposite side of Big Ben for this part of the world.

OR, is it that they are now moving to the side of the island that is NOT blocked by Big Ben in our direction?

There's a big volcanic mountain on the island. They are set up on one side of it. At the current QTH (called Atlas), they have a clear shot to EU, eastern NA, and much of the world. They are NOT moving NOW, but at some point will break down their current camp, get on the boat, and move to the other side of the mountain where they are not blocked to western NA , VK/ZL, and some other parts of the world. That location is called Spit.

73, Jim K9YC