Re: Topband: Receive loop observations

To: donovanf@starpower.net, Top Band Contesting <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receive loop observations
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 14:08:55 -0700

On 4/1/2016 1:25 PM, donovanf@starpower.net wrote:
Hi Jim,

A properly constructed loop antenna absolutely requires a preamp.

Yes, but usually the preamp function built into the radio is
sufficient.

If your loop is operating correctly it will be omni-directional for
skywave signals and it will have an extremely deep null for an
unwanted signal propagated to your antenna from one local
vertically polarized interference source. A well constructed loop
should have a null depth of 60-80 dB and a null beamwidth of just
a few degrees. A very rigid mechanical mount is required to
keep the deep null pointed directly at your interference source.

It is easy to model a loop on NEC, and the results I have seen
do not predict anything like 60 to 80 dB nulling.  With a
circumference of 20 to 40 feet on 160 meters, the null is only
10 or 15 dB deep.

A properly constructed loop should be transformer matched
to keep the loop balanced and both the coaxial cable and power
cable must be exceptionally well isolated from the loop.

Exactly right

A low noise figure high gain preamp is essential.

I've tried that on my loops, and all it does is make
the S-meter move more.  No audible difference.

Frank
W3LPL

73
Rick N6RK