Topband: Preampm for 160 meter receive loop

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Preampm for 160 meter receive loop
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:46:25 +0000
OK - did a little listening yesterday evening and this A.M. on 160 with my loop
and found band noise way down, relative to my transmitting antenna (an Inverted
U).

So, I'd like to add a pre-amp at the base of the loop BUT when I google 160
meter preamp for sale (or 160 meter preamp kit) the only items I find are a DXE
product and an ARR 1 module.

Either is/are more than I care to spend (not 'cuz I am "cheap," but 'cuz it's a
loop, not a Beveridge or a K9AY loop, and I don't expect this loop to be that
competitive with more sophisticated receive antennas).

Any ideas or places to vector me to? I am disabled and can't operate any kind
of tool BUT do have a friend who'll build a kit for me so a kit wud work. I saw
the ICE pre-amps and wish they were still around - looks like that would be an
excel "first start" kind pre-amp to purchase.

Off-line replies are totally ok - don't need any "nah, this unit is better than
what 'he' just said" sort of replies - just some ideas...thank you, in advance,
for you replies.

71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV