Re: Topband: FW: Hi-Z Around Trees

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: Hi-Z Around Trees
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:40:53 -0500
I have a Hi-Z 4-8 PRO down the hill in a flood plain by the creek. I had the area bush-hogged out but there are trees everywhere. It works great and is in the smaller circle configuration with an 85 ft diameter spacing..

It compares with my Waller Flag up the hill on a 45G 100 ft Tower at 95 feet though the FLAG is a better long haul antenna with its horizontal polarization. The flag has a 40 foot boom and is fed with with 100 ohm Twinax to the transformer at the tower base. From there I run LMR-600 to the shack where I have the stellar N4IS pre-amplifier with 40 dB of amplification. The FLAG is turned with a TIC Ring Rotor.

It's good to have both...

K1ZM states in his 160 book that it's best to have as many RX antennas as possible.

73,

John, W4NU
Atlanta, GA