Re: Topband: FW: Hi-Z Around Trees

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: Hi-Z Around Trees
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 20:04:08 -0400
I don't have a HI-Z, but I do have many antennas in the trees here. (and
have in the past at other locations too)

Recently, I have installed all wire & rope 4-squares on 40 & 80 and a 2-el
on 160m, all in and in some cases attached to or gently touching,

(gasp!)(wait for it.....) dunh dunh dunh..TREES !)

Worse yet, the 80m/160m arrays are partially nested and the 40m one is
partially nested in the corner of the 80m one.(maybe that's a separate
thread)

I posted my results here in 2 separate posts some weeks back, so I won't
repeat the data, except to say the only non-scientific anomaly's I see are
when the 80m array is aimed to the NW through some metal clutter and 2 sheds
(full of wiring and metal).

I used trees and did some nesting of arrays nothing bad happened like the
naysayers warned.

Would I get 1dB more gain and 2dB more F/B if they were aluminum verticals
out in the middle of a 40acre field?  Probably.

I used what I had.

I'd worry more about a nearby house, a utility pole full of wires, your
neighbours 18-wheeler, anything large and metallic than I would the harmless
but helpful tree.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB