Re: Topband: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods

To: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods
From: Jon Zaimes <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:24:56 -0500
As I recall mine are typically in the hundreds of ohms or low thousands, never
as high as
20k, even on a 950 ft wire.

I do see large variations of these across my 12 acres, even significantly
different readings on each wire in a staggered phased pair.

We have two different soil types, which may be a factor.

My ground rods are typically 3-5 feet, and water table is usually a few inches
deep or less.

73/Jon AA1K

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 15, 2016, at 9:20 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:
>
> I have reflection transformers at the end of every two wire Beverages which I
> try to test by measuring the wires on the feed end. I remove the transformer
> from the two wire WD1-A and check the resistance between the two wires which
> tells me that through the reflection transformer I have continuity. It
> measures about 40 ohms wire to wire, this is done when I notice any
> performance change of the antenna. Now come the next test that baffles me
> completely.  When I measure from either wire to my ground rods alone, to see
> what the return resistance is, I get reading in the vicinity of 20K  across
> the 900 foot run.    I understand that if the reading was very low it would
> defeat the whole Beverage principle.  But is 20K Ohms reasonable, very good,
> or marginal?  I use three foot foot rods at either end and when I pull one
> out yesterday before moving it the bottom 1/4 was moist and muddy. That
> Southern end of several reversible Beverages  is located about 100 feet or
> less from a sal
 t marsh or salt pond.  I also have to such antennas made up of ladder line a
DX Engineering components.  They all appear to be working well even though
large grass has reach and covered portion of some of them.