Topband: Solved: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Solved: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 11:24:14 -0400
After more ground rods and buckets of water along with several spider wires I learned the hard way to *never8 try to make measurement with a DVM. A cheap VOM gave me the results I was looking for. Now I measure 45 ohms from the detached reversible Beverage wires out to the end and though the reflection transformer and back thorough the ground for 900' feet! Now I am worried that the resistance is to low and the ground conductivity over which the Beverage runs is to low. Measuring several Beverages in the shack on this run on BC stations show excellent FB and VSWR of 1.5 to 1.

My problem here was a false reading of resistance using DVM's and having some residual induced DC voltage making the readings completely invalid.

Thanks to all with there good suggestions.

Herb, KV4FZ