Re: Topband: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange resistance between Beverage ground rods
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:38:40 -0600
The following questions were sent to me in a private email, and I thought
it would be best to post the answers to this reflector so others can
benefit and correct me.

> Mike,
>
> Magnesium sulfate - Very interesting.  I wonder how it compares with
copper sulfate?

To make a long story short, Epsom salt is the best "compromise" between
conductivity, toxicity, and a a couple of other factors; one of those is
that (so I read) it does not kill nearby vegetation. It also does not
corrode the rod, as rock salt does.

Having said that, none of the other chemicals commonly used for this
purpose are significantly more conductive than Epsom salt.

I suggest that you do a Web search for the words *epsom salt ground rods
military antenna. *It will return various useful US Government military
documents with the finer details. One I just found was MILHDBK419.pdf. (For
some reason, this tablet would not let me copy the complete link. Just do a
Web search for it.)

> Where do you get your Epsom salt?

I think my XYL gets it at a drugstore. Most likely, it was Walmart's
pharmacy department.

> I assume you mix it with water, and to what concentration?  How much do
you add to one ground rod?

> Or do you sprinkle it  around the ground rod and water it?

I do both. It helps to first dig out a rather small depression around the
rod.

I dissolve as much as possible in hot water. I slowly pour the hot
concentrate around the rod. Afterward, I add a generous amount of the
chemical heaped around the rod.

That does not last forever; it has to be repeated every so often.

And note that this does not necessary eliminate the need for some radials.

Kindly do not send private messages. That way, others can add their
collective wisdom, in addition to others benefiting from this discussion.
:-)

There is also some Beverage grounding info (with links to other sites) at
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com