Re: Topband: FT8 qrm

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 qrm
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 14:21:52 -0500
Hi Ed,

Being a gentleman isn't not about putting one's own interests ahead of everybody else, either.

73,

Bill  KU8H

On 11/29/2017 11:47 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't buy the argument that the way to be a "gentleman" is
to accept everyone else's interests above your own.  A "gentleman" is
respectful of others and treats others as he/she wants to be treated.

No one owns a frequency channel at least in the US - read your license.

If I come on a frequency, hear nothing, ask QRL using a legal and accepted
mode for the frequency and hear nothing, I am using the frequency.  By the
way - even the ARRL admits there is no longer a "DX Window" on 160M.

If FT8 is such a fragile mode to QRM that it needs a 2khz undisturbed
window, then it is a flawed mode that will not stand the test of time in my
opinion.  I am already starting to hear DX side people saying it's a
complete waste of time and abandoning it.  I hear 3Y is going to try it -
that should be hilarious.

I think that most of the FT8 crowd is horribly misinformed with dribble they
read on the internet and think that some "net authority" has granted
exclusive access to said frequency band and that they have had such right
since June.

Look for me on 1840 in the ARRL 160 this weekend after listening, asking
QRL, and seeing if I am disturbing anyone in my 400hz receiving window.

73

Ed  N1UR

.

--