Re: Topband: cheating

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: cheating
From: "Lloyd - N9LB" <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 13:47:45 -0600
Read:  http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules  Section I. Basic Rules, #9 ...

9.  Station Location and Boundary:

a) All stations used to make contacts for a specific DXCC award must be located
within the same DXCC entity.
b) All transmitters and receivers comprising a station used for a specific
contact must be located within a 500-meter diameter circle.
c) QSOs made with legally licensed, remotely controlled stations are allowed to
be used for DXCC credit.

The "500-meter diameter circle" rule seems odd because I can hop on a plane and
work Bouvet from Florida for DXCC credit, or remote into a station in San Diego
to work Ducie Island for DXCC credit, but can’t separate my Wisconsin
transmitter and receiver by more than 500 meters.

I think "b)" needs to be deleted, especially in light of the wide scope of "a)"
and "c)".  The noise floor in most cities has increased so much that hearing DX
is becoming impossible for the city/suburban dweller.  A shared rural SDR
Receiver located with-in the same state, or alternately within 100 KM, would
seems to be a reasonable and practical solution to the RX RFI noise problem.
It would also make a great local club project if legalized by ARRL.

73

Lloyd - N9LB