Topband: WebSDR Cheating.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: WebSDR Cheating.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:57:56 -0500
to enforce a full >>>>amateur call sign to its subscribers and then to make
the dbases available for scrutinity sothat >>>>the logs can be compared to
say the DXCC mechanisms. This is just a thought and worth >>>>chewing over
or other methods used.

Brainstorming for solutions is always a good thing. As for this particular
suggestion, I can see a couple of problems from the get go. Not meant as a
criticism, just part of an exchange of ideas.

Most WebSDRs are maintained by radio enthusiasts, not necessarily hamradio
operators. Although some of them may be MW DXers, they may not be aware of
Topband as a specialty niche.

How to force or enforce their compliance? Why would they care? Making
databases available, in a reliable and timely manner, would be even harder.

Once something, anything, is on the net, it's very hard to control. Just
look at internet crime, and how difficult it's to find and stop it,
permanently. Big issues will eventually be dealt with, but 'illegal' WebSDR
use, is another story altogether.

No, I have no idea how to deal with this problem. Short of peer pressure,
and sorry for saying this, public shaming, what else can be done?

The best approach is to 'educate' new hams. But human nature being what it
is, there will always be a 'small minority' willing to cheat.

73 de Vince, VA3VF