Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:43:07 -0700
Sounds like SNOTEL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNOTEL

In 1976, the ARRL SW Division convention was held here in Tucson. The local club sponsor hadn't done anything toward serious VHF programs, so Steve, then W7RUC, now W7CI, and yours truly, arranged a VHF breakfast meeting at the convention hotel.  At personal expense we sent letters to all of the Tropo/MS/EME guys we could think of inviting them to the breakfast.  For speakers, we got Mike, K6MYC, to talk about antenna design and another guy, whose, to my regret, name escapes me, to speak about MS propagation.  His talk was about his company's involvement in a similar (if not the same) program. He had tons of data on meteor bursts, most of them shorter that we used on CW and SSB at the time.

Wes  N7WS

ps. Reportedly, our meeting was the hit of the convention.