Re: Topband: Straws in the wind, continued or, "Where's the DX?"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Straws in the wind, continued or, "Where's the DX?"
From: Martin Kratoska <martin@ok1rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 08:57:58 +0200
Disagreed!

A mode is matter of person, not software.

73,
Martin, OK1RR

Dne 2.4.2018 v 01:42 Joe Subich, W4TV napsal(a):

On 4/1/2018 6:01 PM, cqtestk4xs--- via Topband wrote:

Every mode other than FT-8 requires a person to tune in a station
and to take part in the contact.

1) FT8 also requires a person to tune in the station and take part
    in the contact *UNLESS* one has programmed additional software
    to automate the contact.

2) There are plenty of other modes - including CW and RTTY - that
    can be automated with the appropriate scripting software and
    encoding/decoding software.  Both can take a feed from CW/RTTY
    Skimmer to "tune the band" looking for CQ calls, use off the
    shelf scripting software to tune the transceiver to frequency
    and call until receiving a response and report.

*DON'T* paint any mode as "bad" until you understand it and know
what is possible using available software for other modes.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV