Re: Topband: FT8 Observations

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Observations
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:08:41 -0400
On being able to hear signals at -12 to -17 dB on FT8, I do broadly agree. A CW
signal at those levels would be easily heard and copied by any decent CW
operator.

I think a lot of the FT8 “processing gain” claims, assumes a really poor CW
operator. A 0dB FT8 signal is not at noise level, it is way way above noise
level.

That said, this morning at my sunrise (noon in Europe) I was printing Italian
stations on 40M FT8 and I was being decoded in Europe too, often at the -22 to
-24 dB level. (I was barefoot and I’m assuming the italiAns too). Those are
levels below what I can hear or copy on CW. I can work Europe midday on 40CW in
winter but not so easy in spring or summer.

Tim N3QE