Re: Topband: FT8 Observations

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 Observations
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:03:31 -0700
Dave,

Remember that the reported S/N is relative to the receive station noise + QRM level. Since many TB stations don't have your antennas and have high noise, they can't decode you or report a poor S/N. I get +9 and -18 reports from YB stations a hundred KM apart. It's not spotlight prop. So more power helps. Often I find I need to move TX freq, especially way into the FT8 band edges when well heard stations don't decode me, but that is more my experience on 80m long path. The EU QRM level is clearly a limiting factor. I think the latest release decodes to -24, I see that sometimes but rarely does the other station respond. It is always worth calling since their noise level might be a lot lower than mine. That is clearly the case for some of the skimmer posted signal reports by great hearing stations that are not on the air. I will get a -17 report but no other station in that country decodes me (or decides to answer my CQ DX).

Grant KZ1W