Re: Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160
From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:23:32 -0700
Date: 6/13/18  9:55 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject:
Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160
I respectfully suggest the Baker Is. dxpedition be postponed for a few
years until band condx improve.  It makes no sense to me to mount this
costly undertaking to a limited access location when propagation is in
the toilet.   If USFWS is managing access, they've lately shown that
they'll only approve trips to islands under their custodianship every
10 years or so.  If this is the case with Baker Is., then this trip
will make another one in a few years impossible.

Another point I'd like to make is that a later trip might afford a
chance to renegotiate what I consider a ridiculous antenna limit,
which seems to be based on a ridiculous antenna design, namely the "43
foot all-band vertical."    Such a height with top loading might work
okay on 80 meters but on 160 its efficiency will be poor.

73

Rob
K5UJ