Re: Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:26:58 -0400
Rob,
You are right about the timing not being good, but it is way too late now to postpone the operation. Most of us are already in the Pacific or on a plane, the boat is being loaded, etc., etc. This is the time we could get and these are the limitations we must live with. The circumstances at the FWS were conducive to issuing a permit this year. There was no guarantee that those circumstances would remain the same in the future. Please remember that, for Navassa we had to wait 18 years for the official "stars to line up". Also, fewer sunspots are supposed to be good for TB conditions. As for antennas, of course taller would be better, but...we got the permit by agreeing, not arguing. We have a new 160 m antenna design that I have been testing from C6AGU. With the help of a salt-water "ground" it will work OK. (NEC indicates a gain of 6 dBi.)
73 and CU,
George

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:55:10 -0500