Re: Topband: Radial plate

To: "'N2TK, Tony'" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial plate
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 09:51:22 -0400
Tony,

Instead of a wire, consider using a short 1/2" wide copper strap from the
radial plate up to the coaxial input connection on your box.

I think you made the right choice in using a separate box for the feed.  I
recently did the same with NEMA 4x4x2 boxes mounted on a 2-inch pipe.  The
SO-239 mounting hole in the DXE radial plate is convenient, but not
practical for most of us since the connector is at, or near the ground
surface.  The connector then becomes susceptible to snow and/or vegetation
growing up through it.

The DXE radial plate should have been made to accommodate standard 2-hole
lugs.  It's unfortunate because it was easy to implement at the time of
design.  2-hole lugs can?t spin and loosen on the mounting bolt when
accidentally struck.  That would have brought the plate up to commercial
telecom standards.  When I worked for AT&T Broadband, I wrote portions of
their Network Architectural Manual that focused on facilities readiness
standards.  We required 2-hole lugs at all ground bonding points or a site
failed compliance testing.

Paul, W9AC