Re: Topband: Radial plate

To: tony.kaz@verizon.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial plate
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 12:55:48 -0400
Hi Tony,

I had also looked at the DXE radial plate for verticals at my new qth.
I settled instead on wide copper strap (a length of which you're
probably already purchasing for the feedpoint connections) arranged in
a square around the 4x4 and brazed the radials to that with a torch.
This is similar to the radial system construction on broadcast sites.

I'm using a commercial choke that precludes use of the "built-in"
connector on the plate and I don't intend to remove radials anytime
soon, so the screw connectors are of no additional utility to me. At
that point, it's a $60 square of holy stainless with the DXE logo on
it (x4 for a 4sq). I'm sure it's a heck of a product, though -- just
not for this installation. YMMV.

Mike N1TA