Topband: Preamps for Waller loops (was: Re: Beverage Antenna Tuning)

To: n4is@n4is.com, "'Mark'" <pa5mw@home.nl>, "'Ashraf Chaabane'" <ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com>
Subject: Topband: Preamps for Waller loops (was: Re: Beverage Antenna Tuning)
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 13:10:20 -0700

On 7/7/2018 9:47 AM, n4is@n4is.com wrote:
o in 5m.

If you are not convinced just look again what NX4D and myself did in the last
10 years. Doug worked 311 on 160m and I am at 298, but I heard 312 countries on
160m form a city lot, my back yard is 30m x 50m, and most of them worked
listening with a pair of horizontal phased loops that I call HWF. Today there
are over 50 station around the world enjoying the same kind of results with HWF.

My webinars on WWROF have all you need to know for a jump start.

A technical question about these antennas, not withstanding
the testimonials.  Why cascade two preamps?  Is it not the
case that the amplified front end noise of a single 2 dB NF preamp will
overcome the receiver noise of any reasonable radio?  If
this is correct, how does adding a second 2 dB NF preamp
in cascade make any improvement in signal to noise ratio?
Regardless of what the antenna characteristics are.
In both cases, the antenna is looking into -171 dBm/Hz of
noise floor.

Rick N6RK