Topband: EBM Papst 4600X fans for Amp-Supply amplifiers?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: EBM Papst 4600X fans for Amp-Supply amplifiers?
From: Gary Kohtala - K7EK via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 22:28:17 +0000 (UTC)
EBM Papst 4600X fans
I ran across an old thread here on this reflector. One post made me wonder if
the 4600X fans were the same size as what's in the LK-500ZC and LK-450. I own a
LK-450 and am purchasing a LK-500ZC. My LK-450 has given many years of
excellent service but has a couple of minor drawbacks. If you don't keep the
fan speed set to HIGH, it is possible that the solder joints in the 3-500z
socket could get hot enough to melt. I have had that happen a couple of times.
Luckily no damage was done and a simple touch-up with some new fresh solder
seems to have taken care of it (at least for now).  Although the stock LK-450
fan keeps the single 3-500z cool in the HIGH setting, the ensuing noise is
totally unacceptable. I need a better solution. That's when I found the old
thread from 2013 about the LK-500ZC. The 4600X fans seem to be plentiful and
reasonably priced. I just need to know if they are a direct replacement for
what Amp-Supply used. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
I was thinking of trying to cool my amps with a remote high speed fan. That is,
in a closet or another room, etc,  using some sort of flexible pipe that would
connect to the back of the amp. I am not sure if I'd escape the noise problem
using that method but think that it might be worth a try. Colleagues from many
years ago did just that with a 4-1000a six meter amp with great success.
Best regards,
Gary, K7EK
Radcliff, KY (EM77at)